On March 28th I was born in Texas to two wonderful parents. I grew up (well, until I was 6) in a very small town in southern Texas. My all time favorite place to eat still exists there - Ken Kreme...they had the best Tostadas (or Chalupas as we call them in Texas) in the world. A few years ago I was even able to take my husband there! Anyways, our town was majority Hispanic and minority White. I was one of two whites in my kindergarten class...I was blonde and she was a red head...we stood out like a sore thumb! At that time, spanking was allowed in schools (hard to believe) and I remember always fearing to leave the classroom and having to witness someone getting "paddled" in the hallway. I also feared that I would one day make a mistake and get my share of paddling...but luckily that never happened. Luckily, I felt very comfortable with my teacher, as she was also my Sunday School teacher at church and my mom's hairdresser. I always felt pretty special since I had been to my teacher's house!
My mom had an in-home daycare. Even as a young child, sleeping in was a joy. I remember waking up and coming out and our home being filled with other kids. I always felt that I had missed out since many of those kids had been there for hours, but for some reason I could not wake myself any earlier (I am sure I probably got up at about 8 am, but it seems late since some of the kids arrived at 6am.)
My dad owned a radio station with call letters KTNR...the TNR stood for Tiner (my maiden name). When I was little I even spoke for a few commercials with my dad. I don't remember it, but I have a tape of it.
When I was about 4 or 5, we lived on a cul-da-sac with a field and forest next to it (this is from my 4 or 5 year old memory). One of our neighbors once told me that wolves lived in the forest and that I should watch out for them or they might come out and attack me. I still very vividly remember always watching that forest. When we were outside, I would sit up on top of the swing set and constantly watch. I also remember that I would sit there and devise a plan for what I would do if I saw wolves...the plan that I remember was that somehow I would get a toy tunnel and yell for everyone to crawl through it to the back door of my house. I was always worried for all the kids and my mom.
To be continued...
2 comments:
Awww, you were worried about everyone else! You were compassionate even then! Thanks for sharing your stories!
How fun. I love hearing about friends backgrounds! I didn't know 7/8th of the things you shared. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment