He has given me the best doctor in the world! She called the hospital and really prepared the way for me. When I arrived I was able to skip triage and head straight to my room. Within 30 minutes I was hooked up to all their machines AND had my epidural. Within 90 minutes, my doctor broke my water and Garrett entered the world after a few effortless pushes. It was the best delivery ever! Praise God!
After the delivery, we had a few unexpected turns, but God really gave Josh and I the peace we needed to take things in stride. Poor little Garrett had a few things working against him. I had tested positive for Group b strep but only was able to take the antibiotics for about half the time needed to protect baby. I also had a lot of meconium in my bag of water. Both of these things could cause infection for babies. The nurses also noticed that he was breathing very fast, which could be a sign your body is trying to fight something. He spent the first night with us, but the next day the doctor did a few more tests and decided he needed to be admitted into the NICU and needed to receive antibiotics as a precaution for possible infection. At this point we were told 2 days, but it later was changed to 5 days. The first night he was put on an IV and was given fluids. After that I was able to nurse him. I was discharged after two days and we moved to the guest quarters by the NICU.
God really blessed Josh and I during this time. Since my mom was here to help me, she stayed with our other children during this time. It really was a blessing to not have to worry about them, even though we both missed them a lot. We were also given a lot of time to just be together. We talked, played games, watched movies, and talked some more. Life often gets so busy, that these rare times become like jewels. Josh and I learned a lot through all of this. God really showed us a lot about ourselves and brought us closer to Him. It really was a blessed time...despite the circumstances. Garrett was awesome the whole time. He never seemed bothered by all the poking and prodding. He is an easy-going baby that likes to sleep! Our family is very blessed to have him.
In the NICU
Picnic in our room
Welcome Home!
Can we hold him?
Not the baby anymore!
1 comment:
What a great attitude you always have Shawna! I am so thankful Garrett is home with his family now. He is adorable!
Post a Comment